Why Dental Cleaning Before Teeth Whitening is Important
To receive the best outcome from your Dental365 professional whitening, it is important to remove any plaque buildup or tartar on your teeth prior to whitening.
Doctors will recommend a pre-cleaning and an exam to ensure you will get the most from your whitening experience.
To better explain, below we outline how a professional dental exam and cleaning can contribute to personal dental wellness. Remember, your dental wellness is as important to your overall health and appearance as an excellent whitening experience!
Professional Dental Cleaning
A Registered Dental Hygienist will perform your professional dental cleaning and this will include the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: The removal of stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Your friendly Dental365 dentist will perform a comprehensive dental exam that includes:
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
As a reminder, you don’t need to have an expensive dental insurance plan to maintain your annual check-ups. Dental365 has a very affordable $180 In-Office Plan that includes all of the following:
- 2 Comprehensive Exams per year
- 2 Cleanings per year
- 2 Fluoride Treatments for Children per year (Age 16 and under)
Dental Wellness is now more accessible than ever.