Am I A Candidate For Dental Implants?
Dental implants can improve your oral health as well as your appearance. For the many people who have experienced tooth loss, they can offer a comfortable, permanent solution to correct the problem.
In this blog, the doctors at Dental365 explain more about dental implants, including whether you may be a good candidate for receiving them.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots made of titanium that are surgically placed in your jaw in order to provide a foundation for a replacement tooth or bridge.
When are these implants recommended?
They can be recommended under the following circumstances:
- You’re missing one or more teeth
- You’re getting or already have dentures, and you don’t want them to slip or shift in your mouth
- You’re having difficulty wearing dentures because of sore spots, poor ridges, or gagging
- You have good oral health and are also in good general health
- You have enough bone in your jaw to support the implant
- You’re willing to commit to maintaining good oral hygiene and regularly visiting the dentist
- You don’t smoke, since this raises your risk of infection and may cause you to heal more slowly
What is involved?
You’ll meet with your doctor, who will talk with and examine you to determine whether you’re a good candidate for dental implants. You’ll also discuss whether any procedure – such as a bone graft to help build up your jaw bone – will need to be performed prior to getting your implant.
Your surgery will be performed at a dental office, where an incision will be made to open your gums and expose the bone. Your implant will be placed deep into the bone, and an additive to stimulate healing and bone growth may be added if necessary.
After your implant is placed, you’ll need to wait several months for osseointegration to take place. This process allows your jawbone to fuse with your implant so it can provide a solid base for your new tooth or teeth.
When you’re fully healed and your jawbone has fully fused with your implant, your doctor can create and place your new tooth or teeth.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
They have many benefits, including the following:
- Appearance: They look and feel like your original teeth and will improve your smile.
- Comfort: Implants are comfortable and eliminate the discomfort of dentures that slide or otherwise don’t fit properly.
- Better long-term oral health: Since adjacent teeth don’t have to be altered, more of your teeth can be left intact. You’ll also be able to access the areas between your teeth more easily for flossing.
- Longevity: With proper care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Improved speech and chewing: Dentures that slip or slide can affect your speech and ability to chew.
Why should you get your dental implants at Dental365?
Our offices offer many benefits, including the following:
- Doctors: We have experienced general dentists and specialists under one roof. They’ve graduated from the best dental schools and continue to receive additional training.
- Convenience: We have multiple offices located through the New York City metropolitan area. Our offices are open seven days a week with extended weekday business hours, and we also offer emergency dentistry services when needed.
- Comfort: Patient comfort is a priority for us. Our exam rooms are equipped with smart TVs that have Netflix and Pandora, and we also provide comfortable touches such as hot towels.
If you’re interested in finding out more about dental implants, make an appointment at one of our locations by calling 844.364.DENTAL. We also accept walk-ins.