How do I make brushing teeth fun for my child?
Getting children ready in the morning and in the evening for bedtime can be difficult enough, and adding brushing and flossing to their schedule can make it even harder to get on with the day—or evening! The team at Dental365 understands how stressful this can be, but encourages parents to ensure their children perform proper oral health habits at home to achieve and maintain healthier smiles. If you are struggling with getting your children to take care of their teeth, it may be time to find tactics that will work to make brushing fun!
Below are just a few of the ways in which parents can engage their children in brushing their teeth—without the fight!
- Have your children pick out their dental supplies. Most kids love shopping, especially if it’s for them! Take your kids to the store and let them pick out their own dental supplies. This includes cool toothbrushes, flavored toothpastes, and floss. Look for products that have the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance on them. Picking out their own supplies will encourage them to actively participate in oral health habits.
- Provide rewards. Most children react positively to reward systems. Print out a calendar and put a sticker on each day they brush and floss their teeth. Provide a reward at a certain point to encourage healthy habits.
- Read books and watch videos. There are many children’s books dedicated to oral health and wellness, as well as videos on popular websites that can teach children how to brush and floss in a manner that is appropriate for their growing minds!
- Make brushing and flossing a fun game. Kids love a good game, and if you can make brushing fun with the development of a game, dental care will no longer be a burden. Have your children participate in a contest to see who can keep brushing the longest.
- Add music. Kids love music and rhythm, so in order to get them to brush for at least two minutes, find a song that will work that can be played each time they go in the bathroom to brush their teeth. That way, they’ll know exactly how long to brush to achieve a healthy smile!
Request an appointment today!
Parents who are interested in finding ways to make brushing fun for their children are welcome to reach out to our pediatric office, Little Smiles of Port Washington – A Dental365 Company, in Port Washington or any of our supported pediatric offices throughout Long Island. Dental365 also has convenient locations all throughout the New York Metropolitan area and Connecticut and can be reached for an appointment at (844) 365-DENTAL.